Wednesday, November 11, 2009

MAD MEN MAD MEN MAD MEN MAD MEN MAD MEN


[before I begin this column, let me warn readers that this contains spoilers about the season three finale of AMC’s beloved show, Mad Men. If you haven’t seen the show, well, get with it, because it’s awesome.]


Oh Don Draper, you clever son of a bitch.


“You could fire us, and we could start our own agency!”


Jesus Christ. Who saw that coming? I know I didn’t. Don Draper again amazed me with his ability to not only surprise everyone, but not really care how much he hurts his friends/family/acquaintances.


The episode starts with Don getting STFU’d by Conrad Hilton, the owner and manager of Hilton Hotels (a multi-million dollar account for Sterling Cooper). I don’t know about others, but since the beginning of Don and Conrad’s relationship, I just *knew* something was going to go wrong. They got way too close, way too fast. Conrad was calling Don his “son” and Don was actually connecting to a human being! That never happens. So, naturally, it had to end sometime. And it did. And it set Don off — on a rampage.


Conrad tells Don that Sterling Cooper is being sold to some other company, which is why Conrad has to pull Hilton Hotels. This is the first Don heard, so he gets super pissed. That leads to their fallout not only in business, but as friends. But, something happens inside of Don at this moment. He recognizes that his life is no longer in control, and he wants to do something about it.


So the episode goes on, and he convinces all the big dogs at Sterling Cooper that they need to secede and create their own agency. And they do that. Honestly, I never thought I would be so enthralled with a show about middle aged men in advertising. The power and magic of television is amazing.


But now instead of continuing to blab about the episode, I want to ask you a question. Is this a good idea?


Immediately, I want to say yes. Now the core group from Sterling Cooper has complete control over all of their creative output. Naturally, you would thing the guys who built a powerhouse agency would know how to do it again, and this time do it better, right? But I don’t know. I think the main issue is Don.


The main catalyst for this new venture was his fallout with Conrad. Now, even though Don might be saying that he “wants to do something” with his life, I still think he’s being moody. Maybe I’m pessimistic, but I just don’t see Don changing his ways. As soon as next season starts, he’s going to want to do something else. Again, he’s using the people in his life, simply for what he wants.


Regardless of all those feelings though — it was pretty badass how the Americans totally screwed the British. Happy Veteran’s Day!


-Eric S.


No comments: