Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Cheerio, darling!

OK, I'll be done with the stereotypical British phrases.

To accompany my fab article about the new wave of British female musicians, here is a blog full of YouTube videos from the mentioned ladies. I picked my favorites, so if they don't float your boat, check the related videos and I'm sure you'll fancy at least one (had to sneak that in).

Lily Allen - Alfie

I'm slightly obsessed with her album, so I'd recommend just about any of her songs. Or check out her cover of Keane's "Everybody's Changing." Her sophomore disc Stuck on the Naughty Step comes out later this year... not that I'm counting down...

Duffy - Mercy

So this is really her only song so far. But that doesn't mean it's not great. Get your groove on with this retro ditty. Loving it.

Estelle featuring Kanye West - American Boy

It has Kanye. 'Nuff said.

Leona Lewis - Better In Time

We've all heard "Bleeding Love" about 28 million times by now, so I thought I'd put up one of her other singles. Very 90's Mariah Carey. This is a live version since nobody seems to believe in allowing Leona Lewis videos to be embedded.

M. I. A. - Paper Planes

A new classic. I'll let it speak for itself.

Kate Nash - Foundations

She's super cute and just celebrated her 21st birthday! If you're into quirky indie-pop, you'll like Ms. Nash.

and the grand finale...

Amy Winehouse - You Know I'm No Good

Gaaaaaaaah, I love it. I liked "Rehab" just as much as the next person, but "You Know I'm No Good" is by far my favorite track from the album. Please, PLEASE, better yourself, Amy. I need you around.


I'm not claiming to have discovered any of these people, by the way. I'm just suggesting my favorite songs by these artists for people who might not be familiar... or for those who are familiar, as a pleasant reminder of why we love them so much.

I'll see you in London (wishful thinking).

-Jake.

1 comment:

Theodore Lockhart said...

The female british wave is awesome. Good post.