Wednesday, December 2, 2009

CD Review: Animal Collective, Fall Be Kind [EP]


Animal Collective Fall Be Kind [EP]

***.5/***** (three and a half out of five!)

Brooklyn based transient indie band Animal Collective has been criticized for being an obscure, overrated object of hipster worship.

Although the above judgments may be true, it is undeniable that these guys produce a constant stream of music that is consistently improving. I honestly can’t decide if the collective’s newest release, a twenty minute five song EP titled Fall Be Kind, has followed the pattern of its progressive past.

Although it’s true that any new Animal Collective usually takes more than one listen to fully appreciate and obsess over, I was sold on Merriweather Post Pavillion after the first listen to “My Girls”.

The standout track on the EP would obviously be the woodwind powered “What Would I Want? Sky”, though I personally appreciate the eerie second to last track, “On a Highway”. Panda Bear’s vocals melt over the synths resulting in a constant build up in a track that never lets down, although the result is serenity rather than frustration!

I don’t know…the whole compilation is a lot less trancedance than Merriweather, it’s kind of a sneak preview to a Strawberry Jam throwback, and I can’t decide if I like this direction or not…

Also, I can't quite figure out if the cover art depicts a blurry grim reaper or something embryonic...

I think I can I think I can I think I. (fifth track)

Check out What Would I Want? Sky Here.

While you're at it, check out Atlas Sound+Panda Bear's new song here.

--Bri LaPelusa