Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Speaking of (the) Eagles

I thought it was interesting that Cole decided to blog about (the) Eagles. The "cheesy good guy" Glenn Frey is mentioned in Steve Martin's new autobiography, Born Standing Up. (To read a full review, check out Friday's Arts page in the Daily Iowan.)

Here's a little blurb from the middle of the book. I believe this scene took place in late 1972 or early 1973.

"One late night I was lingering in the bar and talking to Glenn Frey, who was just leaving his duo, Longbranch Pennywhistle. He said he was considering a name for his new five-man group. 'What is it?' I said. He said, 'Eagles.' I said, 'You mean, THE eagles.' He said, 'No, Eagles.' I said, 'You mean, THE Eagles?' He said, 'No, I mean, Eagles.' The name of the group, remains, of course, Eagles."

-(the) Ann Colwell

No comments: