Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Glitter Gone Wild

Over winter break I spent many days lazily hanging out with my friends and relaxing. One of the many things I did over break that I don't have time to when school is in session is watch YouTube music videos.
My friends and I spent hours browsing the video site for the funniest, weirdest and most pointless videos. My friends especially enjoyed repeatedly watching Ke$ha, Katy Perry and Miley Cyrus's new clips.
I was appalled by Ke$ha's ridiculous attire in "We R Who We R", which include her black blush, trashy ripped American flag t-shirt, not to mention her gold studded eyebrows.
If that wasn’t enough, Cyrus’s “Can’t Be Tamed” video was a disturbing cry for the Disney pop-star to break free from her pre-teen audience and get a different kind of attention. Cyrus tries too hard to be edgy in this video with her bird transformation and intimate dances. This clip seems like Cyrus's poor attempt at mounting to the intensity of Lady Gaga's famed videos.
Katy Perry is the pop princess making the right moves in her new videos, particularly in the free-spirited “Teenage Dream” and the inspiring “Firework.” The “Firework” video touches on issues of, love, death, and self-esteem beautifully with vivid images and strong message of acceptance.

In a few months Spring break will come and I will take my usual seat in front of my laptop, ready to watch the newest YouTube music videos. I can only hope that they will contain much less glitter.

No comments: