Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Christian Rock / Steven Curtis Chapman "This Moment"

I went to a Catholic school for 13 years before attending the UI this fall so I've obviously heard my fair share of inspirational and sacred music. While I enjoy attending Mass, you won't find me listening to the weekly hymns on my iPod between classes. You will, however find numerous songs that fit into the Christian Rock genre. I'm sure many of you have heard of some of the following artists: Switchfoot, Relient K, Jars of Clay, Third Day, Jeremy Camp (my personal favorite), and Steven Curtis Chapman. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. There are so many other artists and groups out there promoting the same faith-related cause.

A week ago, Steven Curtis Chapman came out with a new album entitled This Moment. After listening to it on repeat about... oh, a thousand times, I give it an A-. I love how each song sounds different musically, as well as has a different message or moral. Sometimes you buy CDs where half the songs sound the same and this is not the case with this album. Also, several of the songs pertain to family life, which is something different from Chapman. However, the songs, especially "Cinderella," are incredibly moving. This album really just makes you feel good when you're having a bad day, and is great for background music when studying.

Track List:
1. Miracle of the Moment (highly recommended)
2. Broken
3. Cinderella
4. Yours
5. Something Crazy (fun to rock out to)
6. Children of God
7. One Heartbeat at a Time
8. My Surrender (good pick-me up song for when you feel helpless)
9. You Are Being Loved (another fun song to get crazy to)
10. Definition of Me
11. With One Voice
12. Run Home

-Lauren

No comments: