Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Just Whip, Don't Grind

Willow Smith’s song “Whip My Hair” has become an obsession all over campus. I must have heard the song playing from eight different dorm rooms this week. Will Smith and Jada Pinkett-Smith’s daughter has also become very popular in the entertainment industry since her single dropped. Her new single has climbed to the top of the music charts and her performance of the dance recently appeared on Ellen.
There is no wonder why “Whip My Hair” has had such sudden popularity- it’s a great song to dance to. My friends and I have definitely whipped our hair back and forth a few times to this song, occasionally getting whiplash.
The one negative thing about this craze on campus is that many people are doing more than just “whipping their hair back and forth” when they dance to this song. This is a song people grind to. And when I say grind I mean pretty much doing everything but having sex on the dance floor. People are grinding to a 10 year-old’s song. Something about this idea makes me cringe. People have the right to dance the way they want but I feel that it is inappropriate to grind to a 10 year-old’s pre-pubescent voice.
Please people, limit your dirty dancing to songs by artists who have at least graduated from grade school. But feel free to whip your hair back and forth!

No comments: