Monday, February 11, 2008

don't you ever say an unkind word about the time!

While initially I wanted to write a big scathing post about the lameness of the final 40 minutes or so of last night's Grammy Awards--the part with all the old rockers and the ridiculous Herbie Hancock win for Album of the Year--this is not that post.

Honestly, I've been so angered by a lot of the nominations (or lack thereof) this season that I almost considered not watching the show, 50th anniversary or not. Thankfully, though, I did. And I really think it was one of the most exciting Grammy nights I've seen in years.

In theory, the show wasn't really all that different than it has been--lots of performances, lots of producer-created mash-ups/collaborations. Not to be frustratingly vague about it, but everything was just better last night.

I'm more of a performance girl than listening to all the acceptance speeches (though, seriously--Kanye's was amazing, and Vince Gill's jab at 'Ye was equally so), so here are some links to my favorites of the night.

Carrie Underwood--"Before He Cheats"
I swear to god she's been playing this song for like five years, and I still have yet to tire of it. This is an especially fierce rendition, due in equal parts to the cast of Stomp! appearing behind her and that fantastic Nancy Sinatra/Barbarella look she's got going here.

The Time and Rihanna--"Jungle Love"/"Umbrella"/"Don't Stop The Music"
So, what's almost as cool as mothereffin' Prince showing up in all his fabulous, 5'2 glory to present (and win himself, in the Male R&B Vocal category)? How about THE TIME REUNITING? Hell yes. And if there's one thing I love (almost) as much as Morris Day and Jerome, it's Rihanna. This number brought a number of my favorite things together--the only way it could have been awesomer was if Michael Jackson had been lowered by crane during the sample of "Wanna Be Starting Something."

Beyoncé and Tina Turner--"What's Love Got To Do With It"/"Better Be Good To Me"/"Proud Mary"
Mmmhmm. It's like a convention of the legs. Love it.


Amy Winehouse--"You Know I'm No Good"/"Rehab"
The performance that was hyped all night actually halfway living up to it? Huh. Needless to say, being across the pond or not, the lyrics to both songs rang a little truer than before last night. The girl can barely stand (and her backup dancers only make her look even frailer in comparison), but she brought it home. Not stellar, but memorable for sure.

Feel free to look up the other performances (the lame Beatles tribute, the always-incredible gospel medley featuring Aretha, the high-energy "Pretender" show from the Foo Fighters with an unnecessary and mildly distracting orchestra, etc.) for yourself. There was hardly a letdown in the night--except for will.i.am, of course.

For me, though, this was the performance of the night:





Yes. Yes, Kanye, it WAS what I was waiting for. And thanks for ripping out my heart with that second song.

-Anna, whose life goals include seeing a Daft Punk show before she dies.

No comments: