Friday, February 19, 2010

New York Fashion Week in Review

I’m not sure how this happened, but somehow New York Fashion Week has come and gone without my knowledge! This pivotal week in fashion kicked off on Thursday, Feb. 11th with designers such as L.A.M.B. and BCBG Max Azria. Classic designers such as Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, and Tommy Hilfiger wrapped up the fashion-filled week yesterday. This event is a pretty big deal because it consists of the world’s most successful designers gathering in one place and previewing their collections for the next season. The past week was the last time that the event will be held at the iconic Bryant Park location; the new venue for New York’s Fall Fashion week will be the Lincoln Center in New York City.

For me, NYC Fashion Week offers many things:

1. CLOTHES

2. Shoes!

3. Up-and-coming makeup and hair trends

4. Attractive male models

5. An opportunity to judge runway models, simultaneously mourning the fact that I don’t work out enough yet celebrating the fact that I love food.

6. Practice visualizing what I would do if I had kajillions of dollars to spend on things like clothes.

Here is a glance at some of my favorite looks from the past week’s runways!

Christian Siriano

I loved Christian when he won the fourth season of Bravo’s television show “Project Runway,” and I love his collection that showed at Fashion week last Friday. It features dark, cool colors, such as black, midnight blue, and plum. Hair and makeup for his show featured old-Hollywood waves with bold lips and brows.

This is my favorite look for his collection. The contrast between the structured jacket and the feminine, sparkly jacket is “fierce,” as Siriano himself would say.

Marc Jacobs

Marc Jacobs collection this year mixes structured, military pieces in neutral grays and greens with lighter, more theatrical pieces.


This is one of my favorite pieces from his new collection. I love the neutral plaid print with bright blue accents. The adorable shorts seem like an effortless wardrobe piece that would be perfect for spring!


Marc Jacobs used barely any denim in this collection, so this dress definitely stood out. Denim dresses are going to be big as soon as the weather warms up. Maybe I will buy this dress instead of textbooks for next year.

DKNY

DKNY’s show this season is all about prints. Plaids and geometric prints ruled the runway show that took place on Valentine’s Day. I think this is appropriate, because I adore this collection. Elements of the collection include school uniform-inspired skirts and socks, menswear inspired heels, metallic accents, and ribbons. Need I say more? I thought not.

My favorite look for the collection was a shift dress with a collage of various patterns and textures. Check out the ribbons that tie around the waist! Excellent. Models for the show rocked loosely pulled back hair and makeup in neutral browns. Note the super edgy blue nails. Love it!

Vera Wang

Oh, geez. Vera Wang, you have possibly created my favorite collection for this spring’s Fashion Week. The designer, who is known for wedding gowns, combined textures such as leather, feathers, and mesh to create one classy collection.

Look at the texture on this dress! I love the contrast that the belt creates. It’s delicate, yet edgy. If by some miracle I ever owned this dress, I would probably wear it 24/7. Class, bed, Burge cafeteria—you get the idea.

Sophie Theallet

I decided to check out a designer that I had never heard of before, and I fell upon Sophie Theallet. Her collection that showed at Fashion Week is inspired by bright punches of color and a peasant vibe. Every model had on tan, brown, or black boots. Not every look was one I would want to work, but I like this collection because it’s different.

I love the casual, grunge-chic look of this outfit. The boots are pretty fabulous as well.

If I ever come across a large (large, LARGE) inheritance or win the lottery, you may see some of these clothes walking down the T. Anne Clearly Walkway.


--Marisa Way

1 comment:

Molly said...

Um I would just like to say this is one of the best blogs I've ever read. Hands down. I love New York Fashion Week and you picked out some great styles to showcase. And I totes agree about Vera Wang; she's freakin' amazing! When you become a rich and famous journalist, you'll have these designers BEGGING you to wear their stuff. Just saying... :)