Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I should be an Idol judge.

I'm sure I've said this before, but I'm a reality TV show junkie. So, there's no way that I missed the first live performances of the ladies on American Idol tonight.

Ryan Seacrest started the show off by asking Simon if he really thought this season was going to be a year for the ladies. Although I tend to agree with you Simon, I'm sorry, but this time I don't. I was only impressed with a handful of the top 12 girls. These are the ones that I approve of... so far, anyway.

Janell Wheeler sang "What About Love" by Heart. And even though she didn't sing it spectacular, there's something about her that I like. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the Spice Girls are her among her musical influences. Either way, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she makes it through.

Katelyn Epperly sang "Fixing a Hole" by The Beatles. Maybe I'm being biased in liking her since she's an Iowa native, but I think the girl has an awesome voice. Sorry my descriptions aren't better. I don't know much about music and vocals and notes and ranges and all the rest of that stuff that Kara always talks about. But I do know a good singer when I hear one, at least to my liking, and Katelyn definitely fits my taste.

*Side note: Ellen's video of Simon touching her leg at the beginning of the show was genius. Loved it! Way to make your spot with the judges-- I approve.

Okay, so about this Siobhan Magnus chick. She has a good voice, maybe even a really good voice. But she's creppy. I don't know, there's just something about her that scares me a bit. Plus, her favorite male artist is Hanson. Really?

Crystal Bowersox did Alanis Morissette proud. I like that deep, rocker, somewhat harsh voice and she so has that. And "Hand in my Pocket," the song she sang, may be one of my favorites. High five to Crystal, you did good.

Way to end the show, Katie Stevens. She's cute, fun and I was not expecting that voice to come out of her.

And, that's it. No girls gave me goosebumps. None of them are quite Kelly Clarkson, my all time favorite Idol and singer EVER! Or Allison Iraheta, my favorite from last season of Idol, who-- on a side note-- will be performing on the show on Thursday! But the girls of this season aren't bad. I look forward to hearing what else they have. And to what the guys have to show off tomorrow night.

Result show is on Thursday. The bottom two girls and two guys will be sent home. We'll see how well my judging is! :)

-Josie Jones

No comments: