Monday, September 17, 2007

For All You Country Fans Out There

On Tuesday I picked up Kenny Chesney's new album, Just Who I Am: Poets & Pirates.



An avid Chesney fan I'd been eagerly anticipating the release of this new album. I expected it to be full of crooning songs of heart break after his recent split from Renee Zellweger - but I was wrong.

While the album has a few noteworthy songs, it was less than impressive when lined up next to his previou albums. But those few songs do deserve some sort of recognition. Of course, his current hit single, "Never Wanted Nothing More," was the sure selling point for many buying the album. The second song on the album, "Don't Blink" provokes a lot of thinking on the listeners part. In sum, the secret to life is to not blink. Other blog-worthy songs include: "Got a Little Crazy," "Dancing for Groceries," and my personal favorite "Scare Me."

On this album he even teamed up with George Strait on a song entitled "Shiftwork," which is definitely what it needed. A shift in a new direction, and a lot of work. I almost feel bad for George. What exactly was he thinking? It's not like Chesney is a rookie and needed to ride Strait's coattails to sell some albums.

Needless to say, it was not worth purchasing the whole album... just find your favorite songs and buy them off iTunes.

Better luck next time Kenny!

Lauren

No comments: