Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Tori Amos defines her music through a loss of self



While perusing the web the other day in the usual procrastination of homework, my iTunes shuffle switched to Tori Amos’s “Father Lucifer.” Tori has always been one of my hidden fascinations. As a piano player myself, her intensely expressive piano melodies drew me in the first time I discovered her music, on the Little Earthquakes album. Combined with her haunting lyrics and vocals, I was hooked. It had been awhile since I listened to Tori though, and, distracted as I was, I decided to see what she’s been up to lately.

In May Tori released her most recent CD, American Doll Posse. With this album, she has remained true to her experimental nature, and I was intrigued by the premise of this latest project. From what I can tell from the website, Tori has engaged herself in multiple personality disorder. She has created five unique women and transformed herself into each one through complex disguises. Songs are accredited to the pseudonyms of these women: platinum-blond Santa who symbolizes vanity and beauty, earthy brunette Clyde who accepts people completely, the photographer Isabel, fiery Tori herself, and raven-haired, bad girl Pip. Each song tells a story from one of these women’s point of view, making Tori simply the musical vessel.

This concept of an artist abandoning herself in an album when most other music is thought of as an expression of the self captivated me, as Tori usual does. The featured song “Bouncing Off Clouds,” told through Clyde, already has a unique feel compared to past Tori Amos songs. Electronica-style beats pump throughout and Tori’s vocals touch on a Madonna-esque vibe.

This album shows the true artistry of a musician. Continually changing and using the music as a means to communicate, Tori has pushed the boundaries even farther this time by letting go of herself completely.

Claire

No comments: