Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Christmas goes green

After hours of mind-numbing studying and paper writing, I decided it was time for a TV break. Usually I have class on Tuesday nights from 7 to 10:30, so I don't have any specific Tuesday evening line-up as far as television is concerned.

So I was flipping through the channels when all of a sudden I came across a combination of two of my favorite things in the world: Christmas and Shrek.

That's right: in case you hadn't heard the big news (I don't know how I possibly missed it) ABC aired Shrek the Halls on November 28, and apparently are re-running it whenever they can until Christmas. In this half hour short, Shrek, Donkey, Fiona, and the nameless babes all reunite to celebrate Shrek's first Christmas which of course entails Shrek being a grumpy ogre and hurting everyone's feelings along with some fart and booger jokes. What could make for better holiday cheer?

Will Shrek the Halls go up in the Christmas TV special hall of fame along with A Charlie Brown Christmas ? Probably not. Will it still be watched and enjoyed by children everywhere 40 years later like Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer? I don't think so.

Why?

While he's always been green, since the first movie Shrek has just been filling his producers' pockets with more and more green until it's just tiring. He has turned into a money-making ogre with no respect for himself or what he once was and what he once taught us way back in his first movie.

Shrek has sold out. And for that I am disappointed.

-Gina

No comments: