Monday, December 24, 2007

P.S. I Love You




I have just returned from my most anticipated Christmas break movie... only to be somewhat disappointed. A hopeless romantic to the core (ask my boyfriend, it's true!) I've been anxiously awaiting the release of Richard LaGravenese's latest film P.S. I Love You. The movie focuses on Holly Kennedy (played by Hillary Swank) as she continues to press on with life after the premature loss of her husband due to a brain tumor. An interesting twist of events occurs as a birthday cake from him shows up on her 30th birthday, accompanied by a tape recorder and an inspiring message to begin the next chapter of her life. From there, letters arrive sporadically, urging her to try new things, conquer fears, and even to love again. Obviously, each letter is signed "P.S. I love you." While it sounds like a real tear jerker, I was slightly disappointed.

Could this be because I'd read the novel by Cecelia Ahern only hours before seeing the movie? Possibly. Usually people claim that the book is better than the movie - it's just too hard to capture all that sensory detail and even sometimes all the plot details into one 2hr movie. And that is so true in the case of P.S. I Love You. I was almost competely turned off by the movie when it first started because it opened with a fight between Holly and Gerry, her soon-to-be deceased husband. It was much less moving and emotional that the poignant bestseller.

There were just so many differences between the novel and the movie it inspired. The setting (Ireland in the book, New York in the movie), when in time the story begins (afte Gerry's death in the book, before his death in the movie), Holly's job, the number of letters, etc. I just feel as if the movie was rushed and I couldn't really enjoy the story. Don't get me wrong, the movie was good. Just not as good as the book. See the movie, then read the book. Or just skip the movie altogether and read the book. It's long, not to mention emotional, but also inspiring. It truly shows how those who hold on to something so dearly can find the courage to move on... and possibly even find love again.

-Lauren Matovina a.k.a. The DI Arts Staff's Resident Hopeless Romantic
P.S. I love you
P.P.S. I did cry

No comments: