Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The perfect amount of time for rice

Class ended early with just enough time to leave me with nothing to do...not enough time to catch up on the sleep lost with last night's all-nighter, not enough time to to do the next round of homework due tomorrow, not enough time to finally clean out my 10-page e-mail inbox.

But wait...could my obsession with freerice.com be anymore unhealthy? I'm like that photo-whore on facebook that posts 4 new albums a day and comments on every new picture any of her 800 friends' posts — only with freerice.com.

So I talk about it all the time. So my social conversations often segue to the new word I learned earlier today (did you know habberdasher means a seller of men's clothes?!) and I like to brag about all the grains of rice I've helped donate to the world (620 grains without a single miss). I don't think I have to defend doing a good thing and raising my IQ.

But then I start to wonder about these grains of rice sometimes. Just how much rice is 620 grains? Would it fill a single sushi order? Or the tray of chinese food the freshman waste in the dorms? I'm starting to feel helpless here. Maybe I need to play more. 620 grains isn't enough...what about 620,000? But is 620,000 enough to fill a bag? Maybe I need to donate 620,000,000..oh, god. there goes finals week and goodbye sanity if I didn't lose you weeks ago.

I admit to my problem. freerice.com has become my new facebook, msn.com, cnn.com, and hawk-mail combined. But whatever gets you through the end of the semester, right?

PS While writing this post I donated 980 grains...and learned that parry means to ward off...and...nevermind.

-Vanessa

No comments: